Sunday, August 30, 2026

August 31-September 4

 Dear families,

I will not be at school tomorrow for a doctor's appointment and bloodwork. Mr. Matejka will be substituting for me.  I have told students the repercussions for poor behavior choices.
I wanted to explain a candy machine I have in my room. I alternate filling it with Skittles and M & Ms (which were on my Amazon list).  Several years ago, I had a student who was homeless, lost a book, and wasn't able to pay library fines.  The machine takes pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.  The money in the machine goes toward helping students who are less fortunate.  I wanted to share this information so you know why it is there and what my intentions are. It is currently filled with Skittles.
This week students completed their first QUILL assignment. There are a few zeroes in the grade book, and I have emailed each parent and student concerning the matter. I have asked that students email me directly upon completion because Quill does not notify me when an assignment is completed.  This coming week, if assignments are not completed, I will not send reminders, and the grade of zero will remain. Students need to learn responsibility and consequences for their actions.
In addition, I have also created a folder in Schoology called "DAILY ASSIGNMENTS" where I screenshot what we are doing for the day. If a student is absent, they can look there for make-up work. The only exception being tests and quizzes. They MUST be taken in class.
I hope you all had a blessed weekend.
-Mrs. Matejka

MONDAY-ELA 7-Library, Quiz on "The Elevator" (You MUST have your copy of the short story), new Quill assignments (three of them), Vocabulary Word - foretaste

Honors-Library, Questions on "Lamb to the Slaughter," Quill, Vocabulary word-brigand

TUESDAY-MUGshot #2, Short Story-"Those Three Wishes," Plot Map (graded), Vocabulary word-germinate

Honors-Mugshot #2, Short Story, Focus (theme) writing assignment, Vocabulary word-circumspect

WEDNESDAY-Mugshot #3, Daily Writing, Work on Essay (all classes)

THURSDAY-Common Lit Assignment (ELA 7 only), Vocabulary word-humdrum, HONORS-Incentive Day-Begin writing children's novel

FRIDAY-We Will Write (ELA 7), Reading Day-Honors

August 31-September 4

 Dear families, I will not be at school tomorrow for a doctor's appointment and bloodwork. Mr. Matejka will be substituting for me.  I h...