Monday, August 7, 2023

Welcome Back - Week of August 15-18, 2023

Welcome back to Sunrise Ridge for the 2023-2024 school year.

This will be my third year teaching at SRIS. We moved here two years ago from Virginia. I have taught in the high and middle school language arts curricula. I taught advanced English 8 and Honors in Goochland, Virginia at Goochland Middle School. I strive to push my students and have high expectations of them in class, as they should be model citizens with solid ethics and a willingness to learn. 

Last year I lost my mom to Alzheimer's, but she was my hero in education as she was also a middle school teacher. My grandmother taught in a one-room schoolhouse in Virginia as well. Teaching is in my blood.  I am a passionate photographer outside of school.  One of my pieces will be featured in the Mesquite Art Gallery in the fall for which I am very excited!

I live with my beautiful family in Hurricane. My husband is a robotics engineer, and our son will currently be a sophomore at the new Career Tech High School with a focus on the engineering pathway. We love Utah and the friends we have made here. We also are parents to a somewhat spoiled kitty named Scout.

Glacier National Park Summer 2023

Updates for the week can be found here. Please keep in mind that lesson plans do change because I tend to over plan and activities move to the next day. Please check Schoology as well for assignments for your student. I send out a weekly email to parents as well with classroom reminders.

My Amazon wishlist can be found here:  Amazon Wish List

Classroom Rules can be found here:  Classroom Rules

Classroom Disclosure can be found here:  Classroom Disclosure

Parents, please be sure to sign off here:  Signature

Novels this year are as follows:

English 7-

  • A Monster Calls
  • 24 Hours in Nowhere
  • The Worst Class Trip Ever
  • The Donut Fix
  • Belly Up
  • A Christmas Carol
English 7 Honors-
  • A Monster Calls
  • Dead End in Norvelt
  • Behind Rebel Lines
  • Seedfolks
  • War of the Worlds (possibly)
  • A Christmas Carol

Tuesday, Aug. 15-All classes

  • Rules Overview
  • Disclosure and expectations
  • Please bring a picture of your family in for our bulletin board
  • Getting to know your teacher PowerPoint
  • Three to five subject notebook is mandatory
    • Label sections as follows: Vocabulary, Writing, Literature
Wednesday, Aug 16-English 7/English 7 HAL
  • Mugshot #1 (all classes) (mechanics, usage, grammar)
  • Perfect Paragraph (honors)
    • Topic: What is your favorite way to spend a lazy day?
  • Essay Prompt #1 (all classes) 
    • Honors-Choice (see Schoology) Due September 8
  • Essay Prompt #1 (English 7 only) - My favorite childhood memory (see Schoology) - Due September 8
  • Daily writing (English 7) - in notebook
  • Introduce Vocabulary (Frayer Method in notebook)
    • English 7 Honors-admonish and breach
    • English 7-commission and viewpoint
Thursday, August 17-English 7/English 7 HAL
  • Common Formative Assessment - What Lurks in a Pond (all classes)
Friday, August 18
  • Begin Essay #1 with teacher guidance

April 15-19

29 Days until Summer...kind of crazy how the school year has gone by. I humbly request that students nominate a teacher in Washington County...