Friday, August 23, 2024

Week 3-August 26-30

 August 23


Dear Families,

There seem to be concerns about grades and the new grading scale. I’m going to do my BEST to try to explain.  We have now gone to a ten point grading scale, but with standard’s grades still attached unless it is a practice exercise only.  The new system will coincide so much better with high school and the middle school grading system.


Since this morning, I have had several parents “worried” about the grades they are seeing. Literally, by the end of the 9-weeks (quarter) your student will have about 25 grades for my class. These will  include essay grades (counts 2 test grades), a book report (counts 2 test grades), daily writing prompts, quizzes, etc.  I PUSH my students as hard as possible when it comes to writing in our class time. I even write when they write so they have an example to follow.  I want them to be the best and they will be by the time they leave my classroom in May.  So just know I’m tough in the beginning, but it will all work out in the end.  You have my solid promise on this!


I have been in education for 29 years, and 99 percent of my students have moved on to be successful individuals and college-educated/graduate students. Overall, just please relax on the grades you see. It will all be okay!


For this week:

We will be visiting the library on Monday and assigning our book report.  I can’t wait to do this activity with my students because they get to be artistic and creative! Fun stuff!  On Wednesday and Thursday of this week will be a Common Lit assignment on both writing and on a short multiple choice test. These are pre-tests to see how I can help them in the long run to be successful in their readings.


Have a beautiful weekend!

-Cindy Matejka

PS. We are having a “tea” party that goes along with our classroom short story. If you could contribute a box of graham crackers, it would truly be appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 5

  Happy Saturday! This week in English we will FINALLY have a test-free week.  I am thankful my students have hung in there and gotten the j...